There are many stereotypes about flight attendants. Here are a few that I are untrue about me:
- A Glorified Waitress – No I am not your waitress/bartender at 35,000 feet. My main job is to get you safely from point A to point B. The Diet Cokes and pretzels are extra. I am on this plane to help you if there is an emergency.
- Baggage Handler – Helping you with your overweight bag is not part of my job. You may think it is just one bag but should something happen to me while putting your bag up I will not be able to work. That means I may not be able to pay my bills. If you can’t lift your bag then I will be more than happy to check it for you.
- Babysitter/Nanny – If you would like someone else to watch your child while you travel then bring a nanny with you. I am not responsible for feeding your child, entertaining them, or keeping them out of trouble.
- Therapist – Yes we may be stuck in a metal tube for an extended amount of time but I’m not your bartender who will listen to all of your troubles nor your therapist. I’ll ask you how your day is going or where you may be heading but I can’t solve your life problems.
- Travel Guide – Yes I travel a lot for a living but that doesn’t mean I have been everywhere. I can’t tell you all the great hot spots and activities. I may have never been to that city and Google probably makes a better travel guide than I do.