There are a few questions that just get on our nerves because we hear it all the time. So to be kind to your flight crew, please try not to ask these questions:
- “Is this your normal route?” – Our schedules are based off of seniority so some of us can’t hold specific “routes”, we just get sent wherever we are needed. If you do have a specific route more than likely we don’t want to tell you it is.
- “Am I going to make my connection?” – We are not your travel planners and did not book your flight. So if you have a tight connection it’s not our fault. We cannot control the weather or fix mechanical issues.
- “Will you call ahead and have them hold the flight?” – We cannot have “them” hold your connecting flight. Any time a flight is delayed it has a ripple effect so it is very unlikely a flight will be held for just one person.
- “What did you do before this?” – Who wants to live in the past and why does what I did before becoming a flight attendant matter to you?
- “Can I get a free drink?” – When you eat out at a restaurant do you ask for free drinks?
- “Do you know (insert name here)? She’s a flight attendant too.” – The airline I work for has 24,000 flight attendants with about 4,000 of them at my base. Do you think I know all of them?
- “What do you have?” – All airlines have a menu or magazine of some sort that lists what is offered during the service. Please take the few minutes to look over the list. There is are a lot of passengers on the plane with only a limited amount of time to do the service.
We get so many questions a day. Please think before asking because there is such a thing as a stupid question.